In modern society, weight management is a major concern. The average health quality has been degraded because of the lifestyles we follow. The advent of the fast food and slimming pills has taken the quality of our health to a new low. To top it up we have stress and a tensed up personal /professional life that acts as catalyst to the factor of weight gain. Weight loss does not only aid one to look beautiful, but also it helps to maintain the physical fitness and overall health. Maintaining a balance between eating and physical activity along with managing the work-life balance is the key to success for weight loss and be fit & healthy.
Also read : 7 Herbal Remedies To Lose Weight Quickly
Basics of Weight Loss
The weight of the human body can be broadly classified into five categories:
- Weight of the bones or skeleton
- Weight of the vital organs
- Muscle Mass
- Fat deposits (visceral/adipose)
- Fluid Retention
Weight loss in any individual is targeted mainly on the last two categories. The weight management of human body is defined by the calorie intake via the means of food and the expenditure of calories either by means of physical activity or by metabolism. If the target is solely towards weight loss then one has to keep in mind that the calorie intake should always be less than or at maximum equal to the calorie expenditure. The perfect weight essential for an individual of certain height and age is calculated by BMI. It is the BMI, which indicates that whether one is obese, overweight or underweight.
Also Read : 5 Simple Exercises To Reduce Belly Fat
Eating Healthy and Weight Loss
Starving one’s way to weight loss is not a healthy option because the nutrients required by the body to function would not be provided, as food intake would have been stopped. Therefore, having a balanced diet is one of the major factors in the field of weight loss. Fast food, sugars, starch and excessive salt must be avoided at any cost from the meals. While fast food and sugars increase the calorie intake without any nutritional value, starch and salt is responsible for retaining fluids in body.
- The main ingredient in managing weight over food is protein. Intake of protein rich food especially in breakfast helps increases the satiety effect than that of other meals. Another meal option that increases the satiety is soup. Eating soup in small portions at frequent intervals helps to keep one full yet not compromising on the calorie intake.
- Considering low calorie options apart from their calorie-laden counterparts can be a clever option to manage weight. Cutting down pure carbohydrates and increasing vegetables and fibers would keep the gut full, as they take longer to digest thereby decreasing the hunger pangs and eventually calorie intake.
- Another interesting candidate in the weight loss field is resistant starch. Found in cooked yet cooled potatoes & rice, beans and legumes this ingredient acts like non-fermentable fiber giving a sensation of fullness thus reducing food and calorie intake.
- Capsaicin and Caffeine are another two factors that increase the metabolism largely thus aiding effectively and efficiently in weight loss. Capsaicin is found in chili peppers and hot peppers. Caffeine is found in coffee, tea, etc.
- Recently green tea has taken the world by storm for its weight loosing properties. It helps in weight management by decreasing levels of blood sugar, inhibiting fat accumulation along with stimulation of thermogenesis.
Proper food intake would help not in weight loss but also help to maintain a healthy body for a longer period.
Physical Activity in Weight Loss
The effects of proper diet in the weight loss regimen are catalyzed with the aid of proper exercise. Physical exercise can be divided into three categories like:
- Aerobic Exercise: Commonly referred to as cardio, aerobic exercise is makes the body use more oxygen that that it would normally use in resting thus increasing the cardio-vascular endurance
- Anaerobic exercise: Commonly referred to as resistance or strength training, anaerobic exercise helps to tone and strengthen muscles.
- Flexibility exercises: These exercises help in stretching and lengthening the muscles thus increasing the endurance against injuries.
Exercises help to maintain not only the body weight but also helps to maintain the overall health in the form of bone density along with joint mobility strengthens the immune system, keeps the head and heart healthy. It also helps to keep some chronic diseases at bay like diabetes, coronary diseases and keeps us emotionally healthy as well.
The perfect combination of nutritious diet and proper physical exercise would help to win the race against weight loss.